Download How to apply for a licence to be a private hire or hackney carriage driver (pdf)
(You will need a valid credit or debit card)
The next available test date is May 2019
When we receive your application we will email you with details of where and when the test will take place.
You must provide a valid email address and check your junk mail settings.
Please bring these items to the test:
- A recent passport sized photograph
- DVLA driving licence
- Photographic identification if you have an old style driving licence, e.g. passport, valid residence permit
If you don't bring these items you will not be allowed to sit the test and will be placed back on the waiting list, delaying the procedure for obtaining your licence.
Before the test please make sure you read:
- New applicants must have a medical examination by a doctor (GP) who has access to all of the applicant’s medical history
- Applicants must pass the Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Knowledge test before submitting the medical form
- Applicants should discuss any motoring or criminal convictions which may result in the licence being refused before completing the medical examination as Newport City Council will not refund any medical fee.
Download the taxi driver medical report form (pdf)
When the basic English and numeracy test is passed and the medical examination is completed please email email@example.com to make an appointment to discuss a new Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver’s licence.
We will send you an application form which you can either complete electronically and email to us before the appointment or bring with you when you come to see us.