Newport City Council is committed to equal opportunities in all that it does.
All council workers are responsible for promoting equality and all employees should be able to identify how their work promotes equalities.
You will be asked about equal opportunities if you have a job interview.
In Newport we consider all equalities matters to be of the same importance: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation and Welsh language.
Three principles run through equalities legislation and are reflected in the council's plans and strategies:
- Promoting equality of opportunity
- Promoting good community relations
- Eliminating discrimination
The council wants people to benefit equally from council services and so:
- Promotes Newport as a good place for everyone to live and work
- Monitors employment
- Invests in and trains employees
- Publicises different formats such as Braille, large print etc.
- Delivers services in both Welsh and English
- Reviews services and eliminate discrimination
- Improves physical access to buildings
- Provides specialist services e.g. sports for disabled people
- Provides services accessible to everybody e.g. community centres
- Improves access to services
- Asks people how they want services
- Involves and consults citizens on services
- Takes action when citizens identify a problem
- Counters hate crime and violence against men or women
The council also works to eliminate inequalities on the basis of geographical area, culture, care responsibility, housing, substance misuse etc.
If you are disabled or need assistance in completing the forms, please let us know so that we cna help.
Application forms, job descriptions and job requirements are available in alternative formats as well as large print.
Applications in Braille or on tape are welcomed.
Newport City Council is committed to the Positive about Disabled People initiative – we guarantee an interview for disabled people who meet the essential criteria for the job.