The Clytha conservation area was designated on 25 June 1999 and sits to the south east of the town centre conservation area, immediately south of the St. Woolos conservation area and west of the Lower Dock Street conservation area.
Download the Clytha Conservation Area Designation Statement (pdf)
Download a plan of the Clytha conservation area (pdf)
Clytha Square and Crescent form part of a neighbourhood of planned development dating from the third quarter of the nineteenth century.
The continuous terrace development of three storeys, framing the southern and northern sides of Clytha Square, was constructed between 1870 and 1880.
Clytha Crescent on the south eastern side of Cardiff Road also dates from the early 1870s.
No reference is made to the Square or Crescent in the 1861 census, the first references appearing in 1871.
A plan of the Square and Crescent survives from1876 by which time they would have assumed their existing form, with properties in the northern side of the Square still under construction.
The Square is composed of predominantly three-storey terraced properties with stuccoed Italianate elevations.
The trapezoidal shaped open space at the heart of the square contains important mature deciduous trees.
By contrast Clytha Crescent, which is symmetrically positioned about Mountjoy Place, is of a more subdued character and generally two-storey in scale.
Historically the Crescent would have faced onto a carefully composed circus situated between the Crescent and Cardiff Road.
Unfortunately this open space has been eroded during subsequent years although the original outline can still be identified.
The Clytha area is generally recognised as being one of the finest examples of mid-Victorian planned development in Newport and its conservation area status aims to preserve and enhance the special character of the area.
Contact Newport City Council and ask for the conservation officer.